“The love of reading enables a man to exchange the wearisome hours of life, which come to everyone, for hours of delight.” ~ Montesquieu
The purpose of the Dixon Middle School Library is to provide informational resources for teachers and students, to assist students in developing literacy and research skills, and to provide recreational reading opportunities.
The school librarian implements activities to enhance the curriculum, coordinates efforts between teachers and students relating to classwork and assists teachers with resources to support their class curriculum.
State and National Standards
The school librarian reflects on program practice and seeks to improve performance by selecting goals and working towards the standards set forth in the Utah State Standards for School Library Media Centers, published by the Utah State Office of Education, and Standards for the 21st-Century Learner, published by the American Association of School Librarians.
The primary objective is to meet the needs of library patrons as effectively as possible.
The following are American Library Association guidelines and statements.
Library Media Skills Class
The Library Media Center is the heart of a school. Your participation in class each day is critical in helping the Media Center be a place of organization, learning, exploration and fun! Thank you for choosing to be a part of our team.
In this class you will assist Mrs. Russell in managing the Library Media Center, its materials and circulation. You will become an advocate for the Media Center by encouraging other students to visit and participate in the Media Center activities!
The skills you will learn in this class include organization, service to students and faculty, ethical uses of information and technology, increased love of reading, procedures for the processing of books and materials, and procedures for receiving and accountability. You will also use fine and gross motor skills, verbal skills and critical thinking.
*This course fulfills an elective graduation requirement earning .25 credits per term.
Student Requirements & Expectations
- A positive, self-motivated attitude.
- A love of books, reading & multi-media.
- A willingness to learn new skills, work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Be reliable, responsible, honest and display a professional demeanor.
- Contribute to the success of our Dixon Panther Library Media Center.
- Arrive to class on time every time.
- Use your Panther Library Checklist
- to work independently.
- Help with the circulation desk.
- Read books from the Library.
- Complete required in class checklist duties.
- Help with Dixon Panther Library projects/promotions